Thursday, April 3, 2025

‘We didn’t get money either, we got respect’: Kapil Dev to Kabir khan on 83’s box office failure

Must Read

Kesari Chapter 2 Teaser Unveiled: Akshay Kumar returns in a powerful tale of resistance

Dharma Productions has officially dropped the much-awaited teaser for Kesari Chapter 2, the sequel to the 2019 patriotic epic...

Jolly LLB 3 gets a release date – Akshay Kumar & Arshad Warsi set for an epic courtroom showdown

Bollywood fans, get ready! The much-awaited Jolly LLB 3 has officially locked its release date. Film critic and trade...

Mumbai Police launch cyber hunt against Chhaava piracy; Over 1800 websites under scanner

The Mumbai Police have launched an investigation into the unauthorized distribution of Chhaava, the historical drama starring Vicky Kaushal...

 

Kabir khan directorial 83 was released in December last year to glowing reviews. The film that chronicled India’s historic win at the Cricket World Cup, starred Ranveer Singh as veteran cricketer Kapil Dev, Saqib Saleem, Ammy Virk, Pankaj Tripathi, and Jatin Sarna, among others. However, shortly after its release, India once again saw a sharp rise in COVID-19 cases leading to several governments announcing restrictions and people unwilling to step into the theatres. as much as his earlier films have performed well, the box-office performance of ’83’ has been severely affected by the third wave of Covid-19.

 

Kabir in his recent chat with Film Companion opened up on this and admitted that he was dejected by the daily restrictions. However, he also admitted that he never considered even once an OTT release for the film adding that the film will continue playing on big screens even if only two are running. The director said,There are definitely moments of despair and disappointment when every day you wake up and read about another state going down, another state shutting down theatres, another state putting a night curfew. So, yes, there are moments of disappointment. But I never got to the position of feeling low just because of the sheer love that was coming our way. The whole day you’d end up just reading messages,” 

 

The filmmaker recalled that the former India cricket captain told him to ‘forget about the money,’ and focus on the positivity that was coming his way.

Kabir recalled how Kapil Dev, supported him during these tough times. He said, “Kapil sir, on the fourth day, when Delhi shut down, and it was like, let’s fight back, he said, ‘Kabir, you’ve already got your World Cup. This film that you’ve made is your World Cup. When we won the World Cup, we didn’t get money, we got respect, and it is because of that respect you made this film on us.”

 

Latest News

Shreyas Talpade accused in major fraud case; Linked to multi-crore scam in UP

Actor Shreyas Talpade, along with 14 others, has been named in a large-scale fraud case in Mahoba, Uttar Pradesh, for allegedly scamming villagers out...

Hansal Mehta confirms new film with Saif Ali Khan; Teases exciting projects ahead

Renowned filmmaker Hansal Mehta has officially announced his next directorial venture, featuring Saif Ali Khan in the lead. This marks their first collaboration, heightening...

Harry Potter Series: John Lithgow set to play Dumbledore in the magical reboot

The Harry Potter universe is getting a fresh start, and with it comes a new Albus Dumbledore. Acclaimed Emmy-winning actor John Lithgow is officially...

Kesari Chapter 2 Teaser Unveiled: Akshay Kumar returns in a powerful tale of resistance

Dharma Productions has officially dropped the much-awaited teaser for Kesari Chapter 2, the sequel to the 2019 patriotic epic Kesari. Starring Akshay Kumar, Ananya...

More Articles Like This